Future addition to Tabs/Pads: iPrint


In last few years, Tabs/Pads have emerged as the new rage, though I never caught that fever myself, but its a reality I must accept. And like all bad things around us, that we cannot control, we must look for ways to make them good. (sheesh, I make it sound so depressing to just have a tab >.< sorry! ) 

It hit me, when I was looking at some old pictures, people carrying heavy typewriters to news spots and it made a impression on me that somehow "on the Spot printing" has to a big extent disappeared while its purpose hasn't. I would really love to print a Map while trekking, when my battery is about to go off. 

In comes the next-much needed addition to Tabs/Pads : PRINT

Portable printers have been around for a while, and many people do use them. But then again the basic problem still remains i.e., you have to take care of two devices, the wiring and connection setups, sending commands, etc etc. 

Building print functionality into the iPad/other tabs, solves that problem and brings printing a big step closer to people. Though it does comes with its set of design problems, its pretty much within the grasp, when we look at the pictures below. 





On the left, you can see the LG Optimus Pro 2's LCD Screen, which measures a astonishing 2.3mm, but what is even more astonishing, is the portable printer built by Japanese company "Brother" MW 260. This little piece of wonder can print a page in 20sec, carries 50 page tray & battery to print them all @ 300dpi, bluetooth/USB/IRDA built in, and even after all that weighs just 1.2 pounds/0.5 kgs and measures just 1.85 cms in height(removing the paper tray should bring that down significantly), and if that is not all, this product has been around in Japan for nearly 7-8 years!!

As you can see, the ducks are already lined up and are ready to go.

About the paper, with some little news making breakthrough from folks at Apple or HP, a A5 size paper should be feasible. For comparison, A5 is 210mm x 148mm, Ipad is 240mm x 170-185mm.

This is a feature I would really look forward to in the coming years, and maybe if my wallet allows, I would go for a iPad maybe.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shared Displays

Mega Vs Dropbox Vs Boxnet